Ok singers, we’re gonna get a little bit “woo” for a hot second here.
It takes energy.
It gives energy.
It IS energy.
In my voice coaching sessions with singers, we incorporate energetic practices to manage that energy and allow for free vocal sound to flow. It’s an essential part of singing healthfully.
1. Meditation: Meditation is a quintessential method of calming the nervous system and managing excess energy. The minute we close our eyes, we begin to stimulate the calm centres in our brains. The breath lengthens, the muscles begin to relax and our fight or flight is turned off.
2. Energy scans: With your eyes closed, begin to notice energy in different parts of your body. From your feet, to your knees to your hips up through your spine and to the top of your head. EVEN BETTER, add mantra (using long vowel sounds) as you scan through your body energetically.
3. Sound therapy: Sound healing is a great way to explore how outside sound sources can change our own vibration. BONUS: You can also change your own vibration with your own voice. Using mantra, vocal toning or affirmational singing can raise the vibes even higher!
4. Embodied movement and sound: no pitch reference or expectation, outcome ~ just free movement and sounds. Long vowels, humming, open mouth expression and flowing (or rigid) movements can really help us begin to embody the entirety of our sound.
5. Visioning: If we envision ourselves successful, there’s a greater likelihood we’ll be just that. Successful at our singing practice and performances. So, having trouble hitting that high note, envisioning yourself there as an addition to your functional voice practice is like the grease for the squeaky wheel!
6. Physical boundary practices: Left hand on heart, right arm extending with your hand flexed out like a “Stop” sign and say “I am me. You are everybody else”. OR both hands extended in “stop” sign in front or to the side and say the same as above
7. Adrenaline push breath: Pressing against a wall or doing a plank and exhaling forcefully can be a great way to rid yourself of excess adrenaline and get back into your body.
8. Affirmations: Affirmation or oracle card decks can be a great support. I love the Rebecca Campbell “Starseed Oracle” deck AND of course, The Vocal Warrior Voice Affirmation Card Deck ☺️
Ready to book your voice coaching sessions? Reach out to chat with Elise HERE
Voice and confidence coaching for singers, truth speakers and entrepreneurs.
I live and work on the sacred land of Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi’kmaq People, and I acknowledge them as the past, present, and future caretakers of this land. Being a steward of culture in the entrepreneurial world, I am committed to uphold the values of collaboration and inclusivity in all that I offer in this work. ALL voices welcome in my virtual and in person studio.